Starting school can be a daunting experience for both you and your child. At Brookside, however, we aim to ensure a smooth and happy transition, whether starting school for the very first time or moving to a new school.
1. Encourage your child to go to bed early to ensure a good night’s sleep.
2. Make sure they have everything they need each day so they won’t worry unnecessarily.
3. Encourage them to bring interesting things to school.
4. Spend time with your child and show an interest in what they have been doing at school.
5. Encourage punctuality and good manners towards other children and adults.
6. Encourage loyalty to any out of school activities your child may be involved in.
7. Take a regular interest in what your child is doing, and praise what they do to build their self confidence.
8. Continue to develop language by talking and listening.
9. Hear them read for short periods – keep it enjoyable. A positive attitude to books is so important.
10. Have suitable books at home and visit the library regularly.
11. Provide lots of experiences of places, people and trying things out.
We hope that through a strong partnership between home and school, we will produce happy children who are socially well adjusted and proud of their growing achievements. Please do not hesitate to get in touch if you would like to discuss any issues relating to your child’s education.