PE and Sport Premium
PE and Sport Premium
The Government provides funding to each school to improve the quality of sport and PE for children in primary schools. The DFE’s Sports Grant provides schools with £8000 per annum plus £5 per child. This funding is ring-fenced and, therefore, can only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools.
At Brookside Primary, we are committed to ensuring appropriate and relevant PE provision for all of our children. This is evident through the range of sports and activities that we offer in PE, through extra-curricular clubs, intra and inter-school competitions. We utilise specialist staff that support teaching staff in delivering high quality provision, alongside CPD. We recognise the importance of PE on the health and well-being of our children and the impact the PE curriculum and extra-curricular activities can have on the attitudes, confidence and achievement of all of our children.
Brookside Primary School uses the Sports Premium in the following ways:
- increase pupils’ participation in sport and physical activities
- identify, support and engage all children, including those identified as the least active, in sport and physical activities
- employ specialist coaching to support children and teaching staff
- increase the opportunities for intra- & inter-schools competition and festivals
- pay for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport
- improve resources to support the development of the subject
- invest in Rushcliffe wide school sports leadership to enhance access to competitions, festivals and coaching expertise
Impact of the Sports Premium
Registers confirm that all pupil premium children, SEN children and children within KS1 & KS2 took part in sport and competition. The range of activities and opportunities was expanded from previous years and included KS1 inter-schools inclusion festival (led by Brookside’s Y5 pupils), Sports Link festivals (at East Leake Academy), swimming & gymnastics. Children from YF though to Y6 all received specialist coaching from throughout the year in a range of sports and physical activities, including basketball, rugby, athletics, swimming and even Ultimate Frisbee..
All children from Y1 to Y6 have participated in both intra- and inter-schools competitions. Competitions included tag rugby, athletics, netball, football, basketball, gymnastics & boccia. In addition, children have taken part in a variety of outdoor and adventurous activities (distance hiking, Forest Schools, Robinwood outdoor adventure) and UK Skate accredited coaching in ice skating.
Teaching staff have worked alongside specialist sports teachers throughout the year. Knowledge of subject has been enhanced significantly.